Getting medical records for Social Security disability – Part 3

How do you get your medical records for your Social Security disability case?  In Colorado, anyone over the age of 18 can get a copy of their medical records by making a written request to their doctor’s office.

If you have only one doctor, or just a couple of doctors, you can simply ask. Sometimes, the records will be waiting for you by the time you are done with the examination. Of course, this is a best case scenario and things get more complicated from here:

  • You may have to fill out a HIPAA compliant authorization allowing the doctor’s office to release your records. Unfortunately, while HIPAA provides guidelines of what should be in the authorization, there is no standard authorization form.
  • You may have to make a written request to the medical records department.
  • You may have to pay for the records.
  • If you want to reduce the potential costs, you may have to limit the dates of service you are requesting or the types of records to be released.
  • Mental health providers will sometimes refuse to provide their records to the patient because of concern that this may put the treatment at risk. So, you may have to authorize the release of your records to a third-party, such as your spouse, parents, or attorney.

Then you have to do this for each and every doctor and/or hospital you want to request records from.

The easiest way to get your records is to work with an attorney who has gotten the kinks out of working with doctors’ offices and can help you get the most relevant records.