Did you know that Social Security has a fact sheet on “What You Should Know Before You Apply For Social Security Disability Benefits?”
- How does Social Security decide if I am disabled?
- My doctor says I am disabled. Is that enough to qualify me for disability benefits?
- I am getting disability payments from my job or another agency, can I automatically get Social Security disability benefits?
- How long does it take to make a decision?
- Can I do anything to speed up the process?
- How does Social Security make the decision?
- If Social Security decides that I am disabled, what type of benefits can I receive?
- Can I apply for disability benefits online?
- Will my personal information be kept safe?
- What if I am more comfortable speaking in a language other than English?
- Where can I get more information?
The fact sheet is available as a pdf document here.