Cowboy Joe (NACA High-Speed Flight Station test pilot Joseph Walker) and his steed (Bell Aircraft Corporation X-1A). A happy Joe was photographed in 1955 at Edwards, California. The X-1A was flown six times by Bell Aircraft Company pilot Jean "Skip" Ziegler in 1953. Air Force test pilots Major Charles "Chuck" Yeager and Major Arthur "Kit" Murray made 18 flights between November 21, 1953 and August 26, 1954. The X-1A was then turned over to the NACA. Joe Walker piloted the first NACA flight on July 20, 1955. Walker attemped a second flight on August 8, 1955, but an explosion damaged the aircraft just before launch. Walker, unhurt, climbed back into the JTB-29A mothership, and the X-1A was jettisoned over the Edwards AFB bombing range.

Will my SSI benefits continue if I move to a different state?

I was recently asked if you will still receive your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits if you move to a different state.  I understand the fear of moving to a different state when you rely on SSI benefits to make it month to month.

Fortunately, the general answer is yes.

Social Security is a national program.  Whether you are receiving Disability Insurance Benefits (DIB) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, your benefits continue even if you move to a different state.

However, the following states provide additional benefits and supplement SSI benefits:

UPDATE: You can check for changes to this list by going to Social Security’s publication page and using the search tool with the term “SSI in”. This will pull up the list above which will let you check for any additions or subtractions from the states listed above.


  • Remember I like you a person

    Thanks for the info I was somewhat confused and I suffer from paranoia

  • Remember I like you a person

    Thanks for the info I was somewhat confused and I suffer from paranoia

  • nick

    hi i live in IL if i move to mo to thier would get more $ on my ssi

  • Ulandum_prudic

    Does Colorado have a Respite program and Attendant care for disabled children

  • Alleyamy269

    What about visiting another state for a long period of time? My mother is gonna come visit me in Texas and she is getting SSI in California.  She would like to come longer than 3 months but can’t because than she would need to visit the doctors.

    • TomaszStasiuk

      The red flag for me is visit vs change of residency. Try Social Security Advice Online. They are a national company made up of former Social Security managers. Note: this is a private company not affiliated with the Social Security Administration. You can reach them at

    • MrSexyBlueEyes

      I am visiting to and I am not sure if I have to change my payee or not am so nervous :(

  • Cynthwinx

    Thank you i needed this information since my dad wants to move from New york city to Philadelphia

    • TomaszStasiuk

      I am glad it is useful!



    • MrSexyBlueEyes


    • MrSexyBlueEyes


  • Teresabarker49


  • Mctia

    i am moving to florida i need to know the monthly payment for ssi

  • Mctia

    my sister is moving to florida i need to know the monthly payment to start looking for housing for her

    • TomaszStasiuk

      According to Social Security, Florida does not appear to provide additional benefits to SSI recipients. 

      What your sister may receive depends on the state she currently resides in (you can check the list above to see if she is currently in a state which provides additional benefits) and what she currently gets. 

      The best place to check for a definitive answer, though, is Social Security.

  • Jessica

    I have a friend who is considering moving to another state. She has been approved for her disability and is getting her checks, but her back pay and disability retirement are still in question. Can she move out of state prior to seeing these things through in her current state without having to start over? Also, If she can move having little effect on these things do you know if its possible to stay with her current attorney until the case has gone the rest of the way through? 

    • TomaszStasiuk

      Since you mention “disability retirement” I am not sure if you are actually asking about Social Security disability. 

      In a Social Security disability case, an individual can move and the case will follow them to the new state. The main issue is simply making sure SSA is informed about how to reach the individual. Note: filing a change of address with the post office is NOT keeping SSA informed. I have personally seen mail delayed WEEKS as it being forwarded. Problems creep in if SSA cannot get in touch and needs information to process the benefits. That can cause problems and stop SSA’s processing of benefits. 

      Some people know their new address and will keep the same email and phone number. Others may not have an address or phone and may be unreachable for over a month due to a move. Then there are the unexpected surprises, as well as added stress of moving. Largely it is a matter of personal comfort level and how certain a person is that communication can be maintained.

      Concerning working with an attorney: in a standard fee agreement, SSA pays the attorney directly, so whether a client is in state or not, is generally a non-issue.

      However, this is just general information. Have your friend speak to both her attorney and to her SSA case worker about the anticipated move to gauge what will be needed and how the move might impact the processing of her case. Then she can make an informed choice. 

  • denise

    on state short term disability moving to arizonia will I loss state disability

    • TomaszStasiuk

      Possibly. State disability programs can be linked to residency requirements. If a person moves out of a state, s/he can loose eligibility. Check with the office which administers your program for specific information.

  • Ahmet Tariq

    My mother is getting Medicare Part A and B also Nationwide drug coverage. Also, she is getting SSI. She lives in Michigan. Now she is planning to stay with my brother in Texas. She is not sure for howlong (depends on here situation). Do I need to notify Medicare and SSI people that she is going for more than 30 from Michigan.? Will her coverage and SSI get cancelled?

    • TomaszStasiuk

      I can’t tell you. SSA (including SSI) is a national program. Depending on how long a person will be out-of-state – and whether they are changing their residency to out-of-state – benefits may conceivably change. Typically though, SSI benefits travel with an individual even if they move out-of-state. The important thing is to check with the Social Security office (and state offices which administer state disability benefits the individual may be receiving). Good luck!

  • Coherewecome

    My boyfriend receives SSI benefits in California we will be moving to Colorado this coming year. What does he need to do to transfer his case? Also, when we move our housing situation will be changing. We willbe going from living with his mother paying a small rent to living on our own paying rent, utilities, food, etc in full. Will SSI reevaluate his case and change his payments to support that? Also, are there any housing assistance programs for young families of someone who is disabled?

  • Tweety70

    I plan on working out of state (I am in Ohio) from April 16 through August 28 in Wyoming. I am then returning to Ohio. I do not plan on changing my state residency and this is only a temporary job. Will that affect my SSI benefits?

    • TomaszStasiuk

      You can check the link the post for information about how SSA may treat the SSI benefits in your home state. However, the bigger concern is that you mention moving to new state to work for 5 months.

      I can’t tell you who SSA will address your particular situation. However, if a person is able to engage in a substantial gainful activity, SSA benefits should stop.

  • Lolo Monterey

    I want to move from California to Guam, will my SSI benefits continue

  • Lolo Monterey

    please let me know if i move from california to guam will my ssi benefits continue

    • TomaszStasiuk

      Social Security benefits usually continue for US citizens outside the US (with some exceptions):

      ”‹For specific information about what will happen to your benefits, contact Social Security directly.

  • irv

    I moved from ca to nv and my daughter recives ssi benifits the payment portion was transfered no prob butvyhey are saying that her medical has to go thru the welfar program and I was woundering if thsts the case because it doesn’t make since to me.

  • cece

    will my benefits go up if I’m living in Idaho then move to Tennessee?

  • rainbow85

    If I m9ve from new york to Youngstown ohio would my benefits decrease?

  • JoeM

    I live in Massachusetts an plan to move to Virginia sometime this year. I was told my benefits will increase or decrease depending on the cost of living in the other state. How can I find out the changes before I make the move? I was also told if I were to leave the country my benefits may change or stay the same as well for example Canada. I’ve been searching online for almost 6 hours. hope you can help. thank you

    • TomaszStasiuk

      The base SSI amount usually does not change. However some states provide added benefits. SSA keeps changing where this information is provided. The most recent link is

      • Joem

        Thank you so much!

  • drea

    Hi I know this may be different but I can’t find any information on this. I’m a Canadian citizen who lost her parents at the age of 11 and became an orphan. I’m 19 now. Though because of this I receive benefits and full tuition paid in full after I finish 4 years of my chosen college. I want to go to college in the U.S. and I’m fine with getting a student visa or whatever I need. I’m also engaged to an American who I haven’t seen because of this. Do you know of any source of information that maybe says that the same benefits I get including the tuition in full paid after 4 years of college can be transferred to the United States? Any source of information would be amazing and I’d be so grateful. Thank you

    • TomaszStasiuk

      This site deals only with US Social Security disability. Note: typically, auxiliary benefits (benefits paid to a surviving child) stop at age 18-19 upon graduation of high school in the US under the Social Security system. If you’re getting your college paid, you are ahead of the game compared to southern neighbor.

      • Drea

        Thank you. Hopefully you can help my fiance with his question down below as well lol. We’ve read all your responses an we are truly grateful for someone like you. Thank you so much.

  • barbara

    Do I need to go to ss office or can i go online to change states

  • Darlene

    My niece is 18, is adopted, lives in MD and is applying to college in PA . Her mom gets social services benefits for her. Can my niece get the benefits in her name since she’s 18 and moving to another state for college?

  • randy

    moving from Massachusetts to Florida… how will my benefits change and i have a daughter wo i also get benefits for..

  • Jill Fluchel Luebbert

    I am thinking about moving from Alabama to IL. if I receive SSI will I lose it?

  • cindy

    I want to move from Washington state to either Mo. or Neb. I have family in both states. I get social security disability and SSI to supplement the disability check. Will I lose the SSI? I’m not getting any younger, and I’m afraid to try and live on just the disability check because I will fall below the poverty level. Please help!

    • j

      some states pay more then others cause of cost of living etc, SSI, and SSDI are national programs so your payments will continue i just moved from california to Washington state and my SSDI payments stayed at $1600.32 a month cause seattle COLA Ma cost of living is similar to CA. My sister moved from CA to TN and her SSDI payments dropped from 1600 to 1200 because its cheper to live out there. Before moving I recommend talking to a ssi rep about were you want to move to usually they can caculate your payment adjustments. Hope this info helps you guys best of luck. — Jeremy

  • rebecca pearce

    if I move to ky or lousiaania will I still receive my ssi benifets

  • gigi

    I would to know if im move from westchester county to fort lauradale Florida will my n my daughter ssi drop cause within here rent kindahigh have pay light n landlord separate water

  • Mandy

    I would like to know if I move to Colorado springs, Colorado can I live a better life than in Wichita, Kansas since I have ssi

  • Donovan

    I am totally disabled from cerebral palsy from birth. I get SSI and Medicaid in Alabama, if we relocate will Medicaid follow my SSI? Or does it depend on the state openings for Medicaid?

  • Jani

    How will my Disability Benefits & SSI change if I move from Alaska to Hawaii?