Can a 18 year old full time student still get Social Security child’s benefits?

I was recently asked if Social Security child’s benefits continue for a full-time student who is 18 or over.

Here is the answer in a directly from Social Security:

No. At one time, SSA did pay benefits to eligible college students, but the law changed in 1981. Benefits stop when a child reaches age 18 unless he or she:

  • Is disabled; or
  • Attends a secondary (grade 12 or below) or elementary school full-time.

In general, benefits end when:

  • The student graduates [high school]; or
  • The student turns age 19 and two months, whichever is first.

Normally, benefits stop when a child reaches age 18 unless he or she is disabled. However, if the child is still a full-time student at a secondary (or elementary) school at age 18, benefits generally can continue until he or she graduates or until two months after he or she reaches age 19, whichever is first.

Here are the applicable regulations:

20 CFR 404.350 “Who is entitled to child’s benefits” states

(a) General. You are entitled to child’s benefits on the earnings record of an insured person who is entitled to old-age or disability benefits or who has died if

(1) You are the insured person’s child, based upon a relationship described in §§404.355 through 404.359;
(2) You are dependent on the insured, as defined in §§404.360 through 404.365;
(3) You apply;
(4) You are unmarried; and
(5) You are under age 18; you are 18 years old or older and have a disability that began before you became 22 years old; or you are 18 years or older and qualify for benefits as a full-time student as described in §404.367.

Subsection 5 concerns continuing benefits for those 18 or over, who are still full-time students. This section requires an individual to be either:

  1. Under 18; or
  2. A Disabled Adult Child (DAC); or
  3. 18 or older and a full-time student under §404.367.

However, §404.367 only deals with primary and secondary school students. Part “e” specifically requires that “You are in grade 12 or below.

Keep in mind we are talking about auxiliary benefits for children due to the death or disability of a parent. How going to school affects a disabled child’s entitlement to disability benefits is discussed here.

  • http://www.disablognd.blogspot.com/ Terry

    Good info. I think another way benefits may continue is under section 301 if they have an open case with VR.

  • heathermoore422

    Hi im having an issuse with ss survior benefits. My husband recieved them in highschool and 6 years later they are telling him he made to much for the year to qualify for the 2004 year. He only recieved the benefits till may when he graduated but they are taking his yearly income to determine. can they do this obviously he had to work fulltime after his benefits were up to support himself which then raises his yearly income. ive tried to find info on this issuse and i can not find anything on maximun income for full time students recieving survivor benefits. they said he couldnt make more then $11,000 so he made $13,000 and they took the difference out of our tax return $2492.00 please help! thanks:)

  • http://www.ColoradoSocialSecurityLaw.com/ TomaszStasiuk

    I suspect something else is going on. I have not seen anything in the regulations concerning “children's benefits” http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0350.htm where the child's income is considered. If it was SSI benefits, or if it is a matter of recapturing overpaid benefits provided to the disabled/retired parent, then maybe.

    But, I can't make anything out of the circumstances you are describing.

    Keep an eye on any deadlines for appealing, contact SSA to figure out exactly what kind of benefits were originally paid and the reason for the recovery, and contact a lawyer in your area to try to make sense of it.

  • Jaclyn

    My son, who is 18, has just been approved for SS disability, (he has some very serious mental issues). Do I, as his mother, qualify for benefits as well?

  • http://www.ColoradoSocialSecurityLaw.com/ TomaszStasiuk

    The only way I have seen parents get benefits is described here: http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2009/12/so
    However, you may want to give SSA a call ( 1-800-772-1213 ) to see if there is another way.

  • errolhaverstock

    I am receiving ssd benefits. My son also receives auxilary payments because he is under 18. He is now 17 and will become a father in 3 months. Will the auxillary benefits be effected because of having a baby?

  • judy

    can mt daughter keep drawing her check from her dad after shes 18

  • Mom56

    My 17 years old son recently graduated from high school in June 2010. He has been medically diagnosed as ADHD of all 3 DSM Symptoms, as SSI Benefits began at 5th grade. He will be 18 years old in August 2010 and SSI will be reviewing his case as An Adult. He will be a newly enrolled full-time student in College. Is he eligible to receive his continuous SSI Benefits. His ADHD is now becoming an ADD into manic-depression similar symptoms of bipolar , as the behaviors surfaced 6 months ago of punching walls, screaming anger, obssesive-compulsive in an underage female relationship, and impulsively spending so much money that he flinching at mom and causing her to have heart pain, earache, and nerve pinches. Please advise! SSI Review is next week. Thanks!

  • http://www.ColoradoSocialSecurityLaw.com/ TomaszStasiuk

    The review that SSA does when a recipient turns 18 checks whether the person qualifies for disability under the adult standard. See: http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2008/08/am
    and http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2009/03/ho

    The question seems to be, do your son's conditions prevent him from being able to work and how similar will his full time schedule at school be to a work like setting?

    Since I don't know the case and what your son's medical records say, I have no way of knowing whether he will meet the adult standard of disability.

    You may want to consider hiring a lawyer to review the case and in any appeal (if one is necessary).

  • http://www.ColoradoSocialSecurityLaw.com/ TomaszStasiuk
    • simone

      I recieve ssdi and my 3 kids receive auxiliary benifits my oldest is pregnant i was wondering can i receive auxiliary benifits or her child (my grandchild)

  • N.V.

    My daughter is a SSD dependent throught my husband. She will be graduating highschool at 17, and will start college at 18. She is not disabled. Will she still be eligible to recieve SSD while in college until she graduates?

    • Bfkav

      I don’t believe so. Once she graduates from high school SS stops. I went through this with my son and that was the way it worked. That was, however, two years ago. I do know, if she is disabled it would continue, depending on the disability.

  • Piglet956

    I have a child that is 16 and still in high school she wants to stay home and do on line school full time. can she still get her social secuity check that she get cause her dad died when she wasnt even a year old yet??????

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I can’t comment on the facts of individual cases. Give Social Security a call and see what they say 1-800-772-1213

  • Guest

    Im still a high school student im 19 and im trying to get my high school diploma am i able to get scocial security benefits and how?

    • Bfkav

      why do you feel you need social security benefits? Do you have some sort of disability?

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Hi guest. I do not provide case evaluations in comments. You may be eligible to receive Social Security. Social Security (ssa.gov or your local office) can go over the application process with you and review your claim.

      • Ntibbits

        may i ask what your position is then on this format?? if this is a place to learn educate ones self,, and ask questions and as I scroll down ur one and apparently most favored response is I can not answer that question?? then out of genuine conern for my current situation,, why and what are you here to help with?????

        • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

          I am a practicing disability lawyer. I write this blog to provide general information to, hopefully, demystify the Social Security system which is my practice area. Responding to specific circumstances, the “do I qualify?” “what will happen to me if…?” questions, requires providing legal advice.

          I can no more answer those questions than a doctor could respond to, “Am I going to have a heart attack?” “Should I change my medications?” questions for people the doctor has never seen and never treated.

          I try to refer people to where they can get answers on their specific circumstances. Typically, that is Social Security or consulting/hiring a lawyer. So that’s the reason for what you call “my favored response.” :)

  • Ashleyh613

    My mom applied for SSDI in August 2006 and was awarded benefits dating back to August 2005. I turned 18 in June 2005 but graduated high school a year late in June 2006 because I had missed a few months of school when I was 16 for medical issues and didn’t have enough credits to graduate until the next year. Anyways when me mom applied for benefits she assumed because I was 18 she couldn’t claim me as a dependent. As this states that doesn’t seem to be the case since I was a full time high school student up until the month I turned 19, and should be entitled to benefits from August 2005 to June 2006, is there still away to try and get these benefits if I am entitled to them or is it too bad too sad?

  • Ashleyh613

    My mom applied for SSDI in August 2006 and was awarded benefits dating back to August 2005. I turned 18 in June 2005 but graduated high school a year late in June 2006 because I had missed a few months of school when I was 16 for medical issues and didn’t have enough credits to graduate until the next year. Anyways when me mom applied for benefits she assumed because I was 18 she couldn’t claim me as a dependent. As this states that doesn’t seem to be the case since I was a full time high school student up until the month I turned 19, and should be entitled to benefits from August 2005 to June 2006, is there still away to try and get these benefits if I am entitled to them or is it too bad too sad?

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      It sounds like you may have been entitled to auxiliary benefits are one time. However, I do not know if there is anything you can do now. Have you contacted SSA to see what they tell you?

  • Unknown

    a relative collects ssi benefits for her children and she was just placed on criminal PROBATION for a crime; the oldest son maintains receiving ssi benefits and he is serving a 2 year sentence in jail…I thought if you were conviction of a crime and on probation your SSI benefits are no longer awarded to you – how will SSI know if you don’ t report it?

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I have a series of posts dealing with Social Security and incarceration: http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/tag/jailprison/

      Generally, incarceration stops Social Security benefits for the person incarcerated. There are some exceptions, but that is the general rule. If Social Security makes a mistake, benefits may continue for a time. However, it is likely that if an individual receives (and keeps) benefits they are not entitled to, Social Security will later claim an overpayment of benefits and want their money back.

      Overpayments are not fun: http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/tag/overpayment-repayment/

  • S Berlynn

    my daughter turn’s 18 next year, i want to know if she can still get her social security benefits while she’s still in high school? can somebody let me know if she still can or not?

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      The post addresses this issue and discusses how to answer your question. If you have suggestions on making it clearer, please let me know.

      • S Berlynn

        i dont understand what you mean, i’m asking if my daughter can still collect her social security benefits if she’s still in high school?

        • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

          /sigh. I have rewritten this response several times. I think it may be best for you to contact Social Security directly with your question.

          The idea behind this site is to demystify the Social Security system. However, I cannot say how, or even whether, a particular regulation will affect a specific person’s facts.There are too many variables to be able to correctly address many of these questions.

          For example, while you say that your daughter is receiving Social Security benefits at present, you do not specify if she is actually on auxiliary benefits. That is just one piece of missing information in your question.

          Social Security has that information on hand and can ask you any other pertinent questions needed to answer your question. Please consider giving them a call. The toll free number for SSA is 1-800-772-1213.

          Good luck1

          Even you are unable to

      • S Berlynn

        i dont understand what you mean, i’m asking if my daughter can still collect her social security benefits if she’s still in high school?

  • Mrs Brisbane

    I recieve ssdi and my 3 kids receive auxiliary benifits my oldest is pregnant i was wondering can i receive auxiliary benifits for her child (my grandchild).

  • Lindybball34

    Hello Im 19 years old and im a full time college student and my mother is a single parent, I heard that Social Security checks should still come , is this correct?

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I have updated the article to make to make it clearer.

  • Burkescaroline

    Hello, I am an 18 yr old and this is my last year in high school. I have been receiving ss benefits for some time now, reason being my mom is disabled(handicap) and my dad our primary caretaker passed away last yr. I now stay in hawaii and been recievin survivors bt after I graduated I will be attending college as a full time student in Ms and will be 19 in November. I’m I still eligable to continuing receiving?and if so will their be benefits throughout this coming summer as well? -thnks

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      As noted in the article…

      Do Social Security child’s benefits continue for a full time student who is 18 or over. Here is the answer in a directly from Social Security:

      No. At one time, SSA did pay benefits to eligible college students, but the law changed in 1981. Benefits stop when a child reaches age 18 unless he or she:

      Is disabled; or
      Attends a secondary (grade 12 or below) or elementary school full time.
      In general, benefits end when:

      The student graduates [high school]; or
      The student turns age 19 and two months, whichever is first.
      Normally, benefits stop when a child reaches age 18 unless he or she is disabled. However, if the child is still a full-time student at a secondary (or elementary) school at age 18, benefits generally can continue until he or she graduates or until two months after he or she reaches age 19, whichever is first.

  • susiedianne

    Since my 18-year-old son is graduating from high school next month, will his award amount go to my youngest son, his little brother? Will my younger son be able to receive a new award total, based on his older brother no longer receiving benenfits? How do I go about initiating my younger son’s award ?

  • unknown

    Hi, I’m currently 17 years old and my mom receives social security disability, from that I receive auxiliary benefits, Am I still allowed to work if I receive those benefits? or could that stop me from receiving the benefits that I do get each month?

  • unknown

    Hi, I’m currently 17 years old and my mom receives social security disability, from that I receive auxiliary benefits, Am I still allowed to work if I receive those benefits? or could that stop me from receiving the benefits that I do get each month?

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I am not aware of any work limitations for children receiving auxiliary benefits. However, you should check with your local Social Security office to make sure it will not be a problem.

  • Delg1702

    My sister in law died of cancer 10/23/10, her husband died in 2005. She left a will for us to be the guardian of her children. In november 2010 my husband and I went to the SS local office. We ask for the children benefit to be move to our bank account, no problem there. We also had received a check of 6705 issue 10/26/10 by SS for disability 1st payment back pay as she applied for disability 6/1/10 and was approved in october. Just received a letter, SS want us to refund the 6705 as payment was issued after her death. We did ask in November during the interview if SS wanted us to write a check back then for that amount that we had received and would of gladly gave back then. They assured us twice that it was ours to spend. We did so on the children or all sort of stuff. We plan on going to SS office and mention that back payment for her disability we were told to keep. Are we right on this or does SS has the right to ask us to refund after telling us it was ours to keep? Do they make arrangement s for refund as unfortunately we do not walk around with 6705?

  • Pingback: Social Security parent's benefits | Colorado Social Security Law()

  • Angelique

    I’m 18 years old and currently get survivor benefits from my father who died 6 years ago. i didn’t have enough credits this year to graduate so i will be going back next year to finish them, will the money continue to come thru the summer? and also if i get married before they are up do they still continue to come?

  • chris

    Hello I am 19 years old and have been receiving social security benefits because I didn’t have enough credits to finish school but I will be graduating this summer…… I want to know will my.social security benefits automatically cut off or will social security call me or send me a form to fill out??? Plz respond!

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I can’t address specific situations (as that crosses into providing legal advice – which I can only do for clients). Your local SSA office can tell you what will happen on your case. 


    No one seems to say: what happens to the auxiliary benefit when the youngest child turns 18 and no longer receives the auxiliary benefit? Does that monthly amount then go into the disabled parents’ monthly benefit, or does the family just lose that auxiliary benefit monthly amount?

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Auxiliary benefits do not reduce the disabled individual’s benefits while they are paid out, so there is no bump to those benefits when auxiliary benefits end. 

      HOWEVER, since auxiliary benefits are based on 50% of the disabled individual’s benefits amount up to a combined family maximum total (see http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2011/05/how-much-does-social-security-pay-in-auxiliary-benefits/), if an individual is not longer eligible for auxiliary benefits, the other auxiliary beneficiaries may be eligible for more benefits since fewer people are taking a slice of the pie: http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2011/05/my-child-is-graduating-high-school-will-my-other-childrens-social-security-benefits-change/


    No one seems to say: what happens to the auxiliary benefit when the youngest child turns 18 and no longer receives the auxiliary benefit? Does that monthly amount then go into the disabled parents’ monthly benefit, or does the family just lose that auxiliary benefit monthly amount?


    No one seems to say: what happens to the auxiliary benefit when the youngest child turns 18 and no longer receives the auxiliary benefit? Does that monthly amount then go into the disabled parents’ monthly benefit, or does the family just lose that auxiliary benefit monthly amount?

  • Carol

    Can a mentally retarted child receive SSI benifits and SSD Benifits at the same time?  I am a single mom of a 14 year old Down Syndrome daughter in the severe range of the syndrome and I have a son that is 16 and diginosed at 1 born at 7 months with multipul disabilities.  ADHD ,Pervasive developemental Disorder, mental retardation and anxity. With these 2 children my ex and I agreed that i would stay at home and take care of them. After 18 years of mariage of him having affairs and a child with an other lady and his mental and emotional abuse , i was at the end . I felt that I couldn’t take care of my precious children anymmore ,so I had to leave and get a divroce. Little did I know that living on your own was so financially hard. With that I’m back to my first question , can my children receive both SSD and SSI at the same time?  Thanks so very much.   Mommy

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      This post discusses the children’s disability benefits under Social Security: http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2011/03/social-security-disability-benefits-for-children/

      Generally, children under 18 are potentially eligible for SSI benefits. However, household income comes into play: http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2009/08/how-parents-income-effects-childrens-supplemental-security-income-ssi-disability-benefitsth/

      After age 18, a disabled child may also be eligible for Disabled Adult Child benefits on the parents contribution to Social Security: http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2008/09/nidich-on-disabled-adult-child-benefits-dac/

  • guest

    my child who receives childrens benifits is pregnant and still in secondary school. will this affect her social security benefits

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      There are a lot of factors to consider, I can only suggest contacting Social Security ( 1-800-772-1213 ) for a definitive answer.

  • Ruthie carmona

    my sister is going to be 18 in october 2011. she didnt graduate but shes taking home studies for 1 month. what kind of college does she need to go in order for her to receive her social security benefits??

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      As quoted above: 

      “In general, benefits end when: a) The student graduates [high school]; or b) The student turns age 19 and two months, whichever is first.”

  • Jtrujillo5

    My daughter is 18 and has completed school but did not pass the aims test can she still get SS Survivor”s Benefits while still trying to pas her aims test?

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      The regulation does not mention state specific tests. The regulation discusses benefits ending at high school graduation, or age 19 and 2 months, whichever comes first. I encourage you to contact Social Security to see how your daughter’s benefits will be handled. 

  • kat

    if im geting ssi can i still go and try go to college?

  • concerned mom

    My 18 yr old just found out that she is pregnant.  She is a senior in High School. will her survivors benefits be affected as long as she stays in school ? Is she still eligible for her benefits while she is pregnant?

  • Destinym 77

    I am 18 years old and my father is ill so he is unable to work. The ssi was a huge help to us, i was wondering if i can keep getting it since were needed?

  • Serialmom2182

    Hey can a child that droped out off high school and still is 16 still get the check that comes out of the parents check. The child is not in school. Both of the parents get checks and the parents are not married. Please let me know that you.

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      My understanding is that Social Security does not require the child to be in school except when extending the typical cut off from 18 to 19. However, we are talking about auxiliary benefits which requires the parents receive SSDI, not SSI. If the parents are receiving SSI benefits, there are no auxiliary benefits for the children.

      Contact your SSA office for information about the specific circumstances of your case.

  • maureen

    my sister in law died of cancer at 42, and left 2 children 12 and 9..the father sent
    the 12 year old son to a ranch in florida when he was 15 and never looked back…ssi paid for his stay…he did not see him for at least 3 years…he is now 19 and over the age
    to stay at the ranch…he graduated high school but has no skills…his father will not
    let him come home…what can i do?

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Hi Maureen. You and your nephews have been through a lot. However, I cannot answer your question.

    • Frank

      the 19 year old will come back someday and nobody will stop him. if you was good to him he will remember and when he gets ready he’ll come back. but bye law if your not a grandparent I don’t think you can do anything about it right now.some states has”grandparents rights law”. hope you the best

  • Brad

    hey i’m 17 but i’m about to graduate early so i won’t be 18 yet but i’ll be out of school a semester early will i still get my benefits until i turn 18 or will i have to stay in school to keep them. thanks for your help

    • Allygirl010


  • Alex

    Hi I am 18 im still in high school I would really like to get married now before I graduate will that efect my parents benefits

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I am not sure what you mean by “parent’s benefits.” Children’s auxiliary Social Security benefits (paid because a parent is disabled or deceased) stop at the first of either: marriage, graduating high school or, turning 19 & two months (if still in high school). Check out the article above for details. For specific information about your benefits, contact Social Security.

  • Jevonmarcfarlane

    hey, My daugher’s father has 5 kids and passed. will the number of kids affect the amount of social security she would be getting?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      In Social Security survivor’s benefits cases, the amount of survivors may affect the amount each is paid if the “family maximum” is reached. You can think of dividing a pie into more and more slices. Everyone gets a smaller slice. Take a look at http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2011/05/how-much-does-social-security-pay-in-auxiliary-benefits/

      For specific information about how much your daughter and her children may receive, I encourage you to contact Social Security.

  • Beautifulface4u

    I have two kids on SSI one is 18 one is 12…he quit school would his portion come back to my 12 year old until she’s 18?

  • matthewlell

    What happens if a dependent becomes pregnant????

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      As far as I know, pregnancy would not disqualify an other-wise qualified (unmarried, under 18, or under 19 but still in high school) individual from receiving auxiliary benefits. 

      For specific information about this topic, I encourage you to contact Social Security.

    • Mymonkey

      Nothing. Benefits are not increased nor decreased. At least that is my experience from when I had a baby at age 17, while on survivor’s benefits.

  • Charla1995

    Hi i am 16 years old, and my mom been getting my check for about 6 years, and she really didnt do anything for me…but any ways since im 16 but im graduating high school in a couple months..n i want to go to college can i get my check in my name when i graduate of when i start college…???
    All i wanna know is can i get my check when i finish high school at 16 yrs old in my name???

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I don’t know if Social Security would require you to be an emancipated minor or not. Give them a call 1-800-772-1213.

  • JRBeck

    My nephew’s mother passed away when he was 6 months old, he get’s $600 a month in SSI from this.  His father receives the monthly check and spends every dime of it, putting nothing away for my nephew and paying very little toward his care.  Is there any way you can ask for this money to be put in a trust for the kid until he turns 18?  If not his father will squander well over $100,000 and the kid will have nothing when he turns 18.

  • Socialsecurityadvice

    If you believe the father is misusing the child’s Social Security survivor benefit, you can visit your local Social Security office and request a change of payee to either yourself or another relative that cares for the child.  $600 is not a lot of money.  If the father provides shelter, food and clothing, that could be well over the $600 benefit.  He is legally allowed to spend the child’s money on the child’s pro rata share (based on the number of people in the household) of house payment or rent, taxes, insurance, utilities, car payment (if used to transport child), car insurance, etc.  The father is not required to save any money if those expenses exceed the amount of the benefit.

  • Jodiscruzin

    Does the medicaid benefit continue for a child who is over 18 still full time in high school, or is it just the monetary allotment? 

  • Jodiscruzin

    My daughter is currently receiving benefits from her fathers disability.  She graduates high school @ 19 in  June 2013.  How long will her benefits continue.?

  • Djuilfs

    My son should be in High school till June, but because of haard work and good grades graduated at semesterm and is now a full time college student. He turned 18 in January and would have gotten benefits till he graduated in June, so why should he be penalized for working hard?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      You have the regulation: 20 CFR 404.350. Petition your members of Congress amend the reg to add to include college as well as secondary education. 

  • Ja_bogle

    Hi I need to know what form if any I need to fill out to continue receiving ss benefits for my child of 18 who is still in high school till june

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I am not aware of any form. However, if you have received notice of you child’s benefits stopping earlier than expected, give SSA a call 1-800-772-1213.

    • Littlepicky2

      Hello, my son is turning 18 on the 29th of this month. SSI sent me a letter saying he is getting cut off this month due to him turning 18. I took the paper to SSI and they gave me papers i need to take to the school and have them filed out and return them. They said with him attending school full time He will still get his benifits until he graduates or turns 19 and 2 months while still in school..

  • micke

    I am 17 and will be 18 next month. I dont liv with my parents for 3 years but they get my disability check. I live with friend of theres. at 18 i still in school can i get my own money then. they dont give me any or pay any to the place i live.

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I don’t know. However, if your do not reside at your parents and they do not pay your support, you may be able to change the payee now. Give your local Social Security office a call to see what they say. Good luck!

  • Pat

    I will be 18 in May. At that time I plan to move out of my mothers home and live with some friends. I will still be in high school. Can I have the money put into my name at that time?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      You have a right to request to be appointed your own payee: http://www.ssa.gov/payee/faqbene.htm

  • concerned mother

    Does auxillary benefits for a child born from a disabled person (receiving benefits) become retroactive from the time of birth even IF the mother doesn’t apply until the child is 2?

  • Toodie_7

    I am currently 19 and my father just pasted three weeks ago and he recieved SSI am i able to get his finds being that I am a full time student and he was the one paying for my schooling

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I am sorry for your loss. 

      A deceased person’s benefits have to be returned to SSA: http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2012/02/can-you-keep-the-social-security-check-for-the-months-someone-dies/ There are Social Security survivor’s benefits if the disabled person was on SSDI (not SSI). However, those often end at age 19 unless the child is disabled. http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2010/01/what-are-social-security-auxiliary-benefits/  To determine if you are eligible for any benefits based on your father’s death, you should contact your local SSA office.

  • Lovemymoody88

    my finecee is 23 and his dad is disabled and his mom is receving child support checks for him monthly right now at this moment. so we are wondering if he would be intitled to those benfits in any way.

  • Littlepicky2

    hi my son is turning 18 this month. We have had his back pay in a savings account for 2 years now. They said when he turns 18 he can use that money on what ever he wants. But when i went to SSI they said he can only use them on things they will approve like, medical etc… Is it cause he is still in school and not graduating till he turns 19 the reason why he can’t use it all yet? And also he will still be getting his monthly payments? Thank you

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Children’s SSI cases are reevaluated at age 18 to see if the child still qualifies for disability under the adult standard: http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2011/04/childrens-ssi-cases-after-the-18th-birthday/ 

      Social Security may decide that the child’s disability continues or that the child does not meet the adult standard for disability. 

      There are limits on how a parent can use a child’s SSI benefits — to make sure the benefits are spent for the child’s benefit: http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2012/03/parent-misusing-childs-social-security-benefits/ 

      I am not aware of limits on how an adult can spend their own SSI benefits. However, I am not certain. I encourage you to discuss this further with Social Security.

      Good luck!

  • Jacob_jolly1230

    Well i might be moving in about a week or to back to texas and i was wondering. If i will still be able to get my survival benifits. Since im changing schools and i keep seeing things saying once i chane schools I will stop getting it.

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I don’t know what you are looking at. I am not aware of any reason why a move should stop survivor’s benefits. Of course I can imagine a variety of situations related to a move (such as not being registered in the new school district causing problems with the full time student requirement). However, that is not the move itself; it is simply that you still have to meet the eligibility requirements. 

      You may want to give SSA a call ( 1-800-772-1213 ) and discuss how to avoid problems and keep survivor’s benefits going during a move. 

      If they give you some good tips, let me know so I can put them up here.

  • Jacob_jolly1230

    Well i might be moving in about a week or to back to texas and i was wondering. If i will still be able to get my survival benifits. Since im changing schools and i keep seeing things saying once i chane schools I will stop getting it.

  • Jcbsrbcc

    my son is home school and gets social security because of his dad. he turns 18 in November and I was wondering should i go talk to social security office about him being home schooled. he has two years left.

  • holydps

    If a parent that is receiving this from the death of one parent to take care of a child, will the child still receive it if they emancipate themselves before the age of 18?

  • Sylvia

    I have 2 children receiving ss, my son just turn 18. And ss has stopped for him. I was told by a friend my daughters ss will go up now. Is this true?

  • Nikki

    Hi my daughter is 18 and receiving a survivors benefit check cause she’s a junior in high school full time. NOW she is about to start this A.C.E. program that she will have to go to school now only 3 hours a day, THAT’S IT! Will she lose her monthly check? Considering its NOT full time??? Pleeeease I need answers

  • timzzy123

    I’m 17 I get my ss till I’m 19 if I move out of my moms house when I turn 18 but still go to school will my ss check stop?

  • brandi c.

    I am 16 and am graduating in may this year because I have worked hard. and am starting college in fall will I lose my benefits that I receive from my dad because I am finishing early.

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Hi Brandi. Good job on the hard work you put in! I am sure you will go far.

      The regulations state a person has to be a full time student in primary or secondary eduction to receive survivors’ benefits (the benefits do not continue into college unless the person is disabled). This suggests that if a person graduates early, the benefits will also end early.

      However, I encourage you to contact SSA at 1-800-772-1213 to see how Social Security will address your particular circumstances.

      Good luck Brandi! Let me how it turns out.

  • Caitlyn

    I am a 16 year old in high school who receives ssi benefits, if I were to get a job how would that effect my entitlements?

  • Breanna

    I just got a letter in the mail, I turn 18 tommorrow I’m a junior in highschool. So I have my upcoming senior year left. They said my benefits will be cut of and I am very depending on this check this month. If I go into the office, Is there any way I can make sure I get it this month since I still qualify.? Please help, I am very worried.

  • Monique

    I’m 18 and i just graduated high school last month. would they send me a notice explaining when my last check would be or how long after graduating does my checks stop coming?

  • nkess

    My daughter who lives with me, is 17 and receives SSI through her father (not in the home), who is disabled. My question: She is still attending school full time, (it is an online high school program (fully accredited)), but I just found out she is pregnant.
    Will her being pregnant disqualify her from receiving benefits? Thank you.

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      To the best of my knowledge, pregnancy does not alter eligibility for Title 2 auxiliary benefits for a minor child. However, getting married or no longer being a full time student in high school (which sometimes accompany pregnancy) would affect eligibility.

      For specific information about your daughter’s eligibility, I encourage you to contact Social Security or a lawyer in your area.

  • Alyssa

    I ready applied for a continue of my benefits as I will be 18 in September and going into my senior year, so I will still recieve benefits except that they will go to ME? And NOT my Gaurdians right? They will come in my name? They have no right to cash the checks for themselves right? I don’t trust my family and I was wondering if they could get into big trouble if they are lying about my checks not coming and stuff… I want to get a bank account so it would be an automatic transfer and I ask my aunt, my gaurdian, about taking me this week and she said “mhm” like a suspicious way of saying “no I don’t want you to have your own account because I want the checks to myself” she’s a money whore. I have so many questions!!!! She lies about the money not coming and we moved so we have a different address and she said she changed the address but I called social security and asked and they said no and that the checks were still being held. My aunt doesn’t cash the checks she gets and I don’t know where she puts them and she lies about it. Please help

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      You need to contact Social Security about getting the checks sent to you.

    • libertyanyday

      you can get the check, but you also get to move out and pay all your own way….

  • Erika

    I turn 18 this month and have received Social Security benefits since I was 9 due to my father passing. I recently found out that even though I enrolled in college as soon as I graduated High School I still won’t receive my benefits. Is there any other student benefits Social Security offers for full time students?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Hi Erika,

      Survivor’s benefits end at age 18-19 (if still in HS) unless the individual is disabled. That’s the only exception I am aware of.

  • Joahna589

    Hi, I just want to know if there is still a posibility of claiming the benefit from my Dad, I’m turning 18 on September 5 and a college student. I don’t able to apply earlier ‘coz I just knew it recently.

  • Joahna589

    Can I still apply to get the benefit from my father for the past years ? I was born on 1995 and he died a year after. I’m turning 18 this Sept. 5. What I mean, is there any chance for me to still apply and claim the benefit which I missed for the past 18 or 17 years ?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      It may be difficult. The general rule is that you have to apply to qualify. For specific information about your eligibility for survivors’ benefits, I encourage you to contact Social Security.

      • shalane

        i didnt know my child had to be in school to recieve auxillary benefits he was in a program and got his Ged he is 17. am i going to get on trouble he recieves survivors ssdi benefits

  • Undefinedlie

    When your 18 and the check comes in your name is it now yours or does the parent still in charge of it

    • Speed Dog

      I was curious about this too. My son’s mother takes the money but the check is in his name. He gets SS because I get SS. I am his father and he lives with his mother most of the time and has another year of HS. Interesting point is if there is an overpayment and the SS wants some back then would he be responsible for the payment when his mom was taking all the money?

  • Undefinedlie

    Get it*
    Sorry forgot that part.

  • BlackRazor54 .

    Well my kid turned 18 in April, got was getting his check just fine, then in Sept. they cut him off saying he wasn’t eligable anymore because he was 18, but he is still a full time student in HS! I filled out all the paperwork like the guy at the local SS office told me to and the school did as well but he has yet to get his check back or back pay and I get a letter from them asking me to pay back $715 May-Sept. checks, which he was eligible for, they are so F’ed up! I cant get anyone at SS to get off there butts to fix this!

  • jv

    Is there a way for a 22 year old full time college student to receive social security checks from a deseced parent’s social security?

  • Need help

    My daughter is incarcerated and her son receives social security for autism. I am keeping her son while she is incarcerated. How do I change the check until she gets out

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      The local Social Security office can walk you through the process. Good luck!

  • guest787

    Im 16 and im becoming a father can I lose my benefits or would it continue

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      You don’t mention what benefits you are currently getting (disability? survivors?). Your local SSA office can discuss what may happen to your benefits when you become a father. Oh, and congratulations!

  • Tiffany Nicolle

    My brother in law is 19 He would like to leave his fathers & live with Myself & His older brother. The father say’s that in order for that to happen my brother in law must have me or My Husband take over His check & That My brother in law is not allowed to just have it himself. Is this true? We just are not wanting to be in charge of it because of the Family issues it may cause. His reason for his check is spina bifida. There are no mental issues

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      It depends if SSA requires a payee. The local SSA office (or the national call center) should be able to abswe that for your brother. Good luck!

  • Lynda

    My granddaughter is not disabled. She is 18 almost 19 and for the past year her survivor’s benefits have been deposited in her own checking account. Will she have to return any money that she has in savings or in her checking account when she graduates this spring? Thank you for your help?

  • Heritage

    I retired at 65 and took my Social Security, I was ask to come back to work for another company ,will the funds that I am now paying increase my monthly S S payments?,if not should I stop having that takuing out of my pay check.?

  • krb101

    Okay i am 18 years old and still attending high school. I get a social security check because I’m still attending school, but mainly because my dad is disabled and he gets a check. I am supposed to get my check until i graduate shortly after 2015 starts around February. I just now found out that i am pregnant and i wanted to know if they were going to cancel my check because of it. An answer would be greatly appreciated!

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Pregnancy is not a disqualifying event. However, being married or no longer being a full-time student will stop Social Security auxiliary benefits.

  • ap223

    Im 17 and I get an ssi check from my dad being gone . I don’t get the check my mom does and uses it on her self and I don’t even live with her. I have a 9 month old that I have to take care of , is there anyway that I can get my check ?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Contact your local SSA office (or the national line at 1-800-772-1213) and they can walk you through the process of either changing rep payee and/or reporting abuse of your benefits.

      • ap223

        Would they give all the money back that my mom never used on me ?

        • Cathi H


    • phillip

      same problem bro and im bout to have a kid my self

  • Brittnee Gilmore

    Hi! I’m 16 years old and I am in a serious relationship. We’re talking about marriage and kids. My half sister has fought so hard to try and get my benefits from my grandmother. I get 1300 from my daddy passing away. I was wondering if I’m still going to school and get married, will I be able to receive my survivor benefits? Thank you!

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      A person has to be unmarried to receive survivor’s benefits.

  • Nicolina Bolognese

    Hi, I turn 18 September 20th. I am currently enrolled in college and receive ssi due to my father being disabled. Is there any way to extend my ssi because this is the only finacial stability i recieve

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      The only exception for extending auxiliary benefits that I am aware of is in cases where the child is disabled.

  • Ama

    Okay hi im19 im a full time student but i dont get help i pay cash. Can i still get it???help

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Contact your local SSA office or call the national toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 and they will let you know what benefits you may be eligible for. Good luck!

  • confused mom

    Hi Mr. Stasiuk, my husband is disabled and receiving SS disability. My daughter is 17 and will be 18 soon. She is also disabled with autism and developmental issues but has been receiving benefits as a dependent of her father. My question is, do I apply for continuing benefits for her as a dependent that hasn’t graduated high school yet, or as a disabled adult child, or both? I am trying to avoid a lapse in her benefits.
    Thanks for your help

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      If Social Security does not know (and acknowledge) a child is disabled under the SSA regulation, I could see there being a gap once the child starts to age out of the auxiliary benefits program. I would contact the local SSA office to see what they recommend.

      If SSA says to wait until the child turns 18, I would expect the usual processing time (4-6 months for the initial decision and around a year for a hearing — timing dependent on if home state has the reconsideration step or not).

      I expect (hope?) that they have a better suggestion that will not result in a gap in benefits.

      • reuben

        I am 19 and I will turn 20 next year in February but I am still a full time 12 grade student can I still get benefits from father

        • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

          The general rule is Social Security aux benefits stop when the student graduates [high school]; or the student turns age 19 and two months, whichever is first.

          Social Security can tell you what will happen under your specific circumstances.

  • Laurie

    If a 17 year old is receiving benefits due to being a dependent minor petitions for and becomes emancipated, do the ss benefits stop since the recipient is no longer considered a dependent minor?

  • brandyjojo

    My grandson started receiving SSI when he turned 19 after a motorcycle accident and is determined to have traumatic brain injury. He never worked as he just graduated from high school. I was wondering why he didnt draw regular social security from his dad’s account instead of SSI benefits

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Of course, I do not know what happened in your grandson’s particular care. In general though, if an application for DAC (disabled adult child) benefits is not specifically requested, it is possible SSA will process the claim for SSI benefits only.

  • Alexismom1

    My daughter just turned 16 on August 3rd, she will hopefully graduate high school by the time she is 17. Will she continue to receive benefits until she is 18?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Unless the child is disabled, finishing secondary school (aka high school) is usually a terminating event. For specific information about your child’s benefits, I encourage you to contact Social Security.

  • Cindy

    If a child is 18 and is a senior in highschool, wants to move out of his home. Can he get the benefits sent to him until he graduates from highschool?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Quite possibly. However, while graduating secondary education (high school) is one terminating event, turning 19 is another. My recollection is that benefits are actually stopped at nineteen and three months. Check with your local SSA office for information about your specific set of circumstances.

  • crystal

    I have two children, son (14) and a daughter (18). My daughter’s survivors benefits ended since she graduated high school. I want to know if my son will get any of the money my daughter was receiving. I have called twice and was told different things. Any information would help. Thanks.

  • Aubrey

    What if im enrolled in school still but stop going for like a month will they end it? I get survivors benefits.

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Good question! Will the school / school district still consider you a full-time student if you stop going for a month?

  • glen

    What if the child does not have the deceased parents last name does the living parent have to change the childs last name in order to qualify for survivors benefits?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      A last name does not determine who someone’s parents are. Social Security will often look at the birth record or hospital records. Those are some of the easiest ways to determine paternity.

  • michael

    i am about to turn 18. But i still get mu benefits until im 19. but i have to stay in school. Can i do an online school and still get my benefits until im 19?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      One of the requirements is that the “child” has to be a full time student in primary or secondary education (high school). You would have to check with your school/school district to find out if taking online classes would still qualify you as a full time student.

      Note: even if it would, that doesn’t guarantee there won’t be problems, but it is the first issue I see based on your question.

  • chris

    I am 18 a full time student in collage and I am trying to pay for my collage I don’t want to drop out I don’t know what to do I have 2 weeks to figure something out please help

  • Sherri

    I will be 18 in a few months and receive social security benefits due to the death of a parent. I am a senior in high school and will still be 18 when I graduate. My grandparents are my guardians and they receive my social security check each month. I do not have access to my check but they give me a little money here and there for gas and clothes as I need it. Once I turn 18, since I am still in school, can i still receive my check if I move out of their house and on my own? Also, can I get my check in only my name where I will be the only one who will have access to it? My grandparents are asking me to sign a form provided by the ss office and take it to school for them to verify that I am a current student. If I sign the form will my grandparents have any control over me or my ss money? Basically, what I am asking is, once I am 18, still in high school, and still receiving ss benefits, will i still be considered an adult or will they still have control over anything I do?

    • A care Mom

      Once the dependent turn 16 years old, the money should go direct it to you, unless they have a direct the posit going to there checking account. You should be receiving a check on your name. My recommendation, open a check account and call social security with your checking account and routing number. Good Luck

      • LCKK

        Will you be paying your own way? The SS goes for more than just clothes , spending money and gas… it goes to providing a roof over your head, food, heat , water electricity. that all adds up

  • Kanesha

    I currently turned 18 yesterday I am currently stll a high school student, 12 grade,and i moved out of my adopted mothers house. I was receiving money each month from her social security check and it says i will still receive benefits is im a full time student in high school which i am how do I get my check in my name until i graduate?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Probably. Contact your local Social Security office for more information.

  • kyle

    im 19, graduated.
    iv been out of school a year now and i want to go to collage, as a full time student. i was told i would still get the benefits if i became a full time collage student right after graduating, However. My question is, Can i still get the benefits if i enrole as a full time student in collage after being out of school for a year?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      You don’t specify what benefits you are referring to. However, as noted in the post above, Social Security auxiliary benefits stop at age 18-19, unless the individual is disabled.

  • amy

    I have a 17 year old living in my home. She is enrolled in high school. I am not her guardian and do not have a power of attorney. Her mother is still receiving her survivor benefits even though she is living with me. Is there any way she can claim her own benefits or I can become the payee so that I can give her the money?

    • Foreverflynick

      she needs her own bank account and proof of that account and they will deposit the money in her account

      • Dee

        How about if an Adult Disabled Child lives with a grandparent and the parents are trying to collect the back payments in their own personal bank account through direct deposit from the original filing of Social Security Disability of the ADC and the child does not live with the parents? Can the parents get into trouble for trying to take the payments that rightfully belong to the Grandparent who fully supported the ADC?

        • Foreverflynick

          the grandparent would have to go to court to file a petition for power of attorney over the disabled child to rightfully receive the benefits to care for the child

  • kurey

    So im 18 and a senior if I were to work while receiving social security will it be cut off?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      It depends on the kind of Social Security benefits the individual is receiving. For specific information about the effect of work, I encourage you to contact your local Social Security office or speak to a lawyer in your area.

  • Treace

    I was receiving survivor benefits but they stopped a month before my 18th birthday and i never continued to receive my benefits even though i was still a full time student in high school. I was doing every thing social security ask me to do far as having the school i attend fill out a form stating that i was a full time student and taking it back to social security. But my question is can i receive back pay since i was still enrolled in school at the age of 19 but never received any money?? Or can i file for an apeal??

    • Guest

      No unfortunately not

  • Ashley

    I have a question when if the last day you can turn in the forums for social security benefits. I am going to be 18 in November.

  • taye

    im on social secruity adoption and i want a job and im 14 years old but i found a place that wants to hire me will is still get money from my social secruity

  • Ashlee

    I am about to turn 18 in a couple of days, I am receiving social security in my name due to my dad’s retirement. I am a full time student in high school, but my question is if I get married before I graduate, will my SS checks stop coming to me or will they continue as normal ?

  • emi

    i am 18, turning 19 in December but I will be attending high school still at age 19 will I still be able to receive my ssi benefits if I am over 19 but attending school full-time?

  • Tamara

    If my sons girlfriend is unable to enrol in school herself (as she has no bills in her name/due to moving out of her moms house/she has a young child as well) .. what is the way around all this? They are in Florida.

  • inquiringmind

    Can any part of the monthly SSI servivor benefits be saved for future college expenses?

    • Foreverflynick

      Financial Aid

  • marrissa

    What if your 18, still in high school but married? Do you not get it anymore?

    • Vic Alarcon


  • anna

    Will turn 19 in March am graduating in May, highschool what month do I get my last check ..ss from death benefit ( father).

    • Foreverflynick

      MAY two months after you turn 18

  • Nattely

    Im am 16 years old and receive child support can i still work at a part-time job?

    • Foreverflynick

      it depends on if you meet the poverty line benchmark but more than likely

  • Nick

    Can you have a part-time job, be 18, go to high school full time, and collect Social Security child’s benefits?

    • Foreverflynick

      it depends on if you meet the poverty line benchmark but more than likely yes

  • candy

    My daughter is drawing social security from her father, and will turn 18 in November and has enough credits to graduate by the end of December. She can’t walk across the stage and get her diploma until may. Will they stop her check at the end of December if she isn’t in school from January through may? Or can she still draw till she graduates?

    • Foreverflynick

      SSI goes by what documentation you provided when you’re child turned 18 so if you’re child’s attendance office filled out the forum and said you’re child will be in attendance yearly from september through may then you would receive benefits.

  • Malayna Bowers

    So I am an only child and my parents are divorved. I live with my single father (who has been in an accident ad has been living off the state the past year). My mother passed away about 4 days ago, she hadn’t worked in over 5 years due to her back but they wouldn’t qualify her as disabled but her doctor wouldn’t let her work nor could she.. I turn 18 in about 2 weeks, I graduate in March, do I still get my moms social security check being her only child?

  • Kendall Williams

    My Step son is collecting ssi from his late mother. He turned 18 Oct 2014 and is still in 12th grade. Since he has turned 18 he has decided to move out and not go to school. His benefits were extended till june 2015 when he is/was supposed to graduate. He is collecting the money and spending it on crap. How do i report this to ssi?

    • Craig

      How did he get his benefits extended if he is dropped out and 18?

      • Foreverflynick

        the attendance office was supposed to notify ssi but prob never did

    • Foreverflynick

      file a claim that you suspect social security fraud and also contact the school’s attendance office to report to ssi that the student is delinquent in attendance

  • Craig

    Survivor benefits; dropped out of high school in March 2014; 18 in march 2015; Attained a GED; Starting college soon; Moved out on my own and paying rent; Part-time job; Father can not financially support me anymore; Can all of this get my benefits extended until I am 19 in March 2016 even if I dropped out of high school?

    • Foreverflynick

      Unfortunately no you would need to be enrolled in high school

    • Linda Stillwell

      They said no to us on tho, u have to b in school to continue to receive a check

  • walkers

    I just turned 18 my social security use to go in my mom name will it start going in my name ? Its for survivor benefit

    • Foreverflynick

      Yes it will

    • Cathi H

      Yes, but only if you are still in high school and filled out the proper paperwork transferring the checks into your name.

  • Damien

    Hi, after 18 do you still receive benefits during Summer break/vacation? Assuming the student is continuing school after the break?

    • Foreverflynick

      unfortunately no it will end in june

      • Crista Etterer

        That is wrong, they will continue during that last summer break before graduation. We are in the same boat.

        • Foreverflynick

          yes thats what i said, june is usually the last month of the school year.

  • Daniel Reynolds

    My mother in law is the legal guardian of a child who just turned 18. The child has drawn off her disabled parent (even when custody changed) The child is still a high school student (11th grade) . The question is-1 continue benefits until she is 19 or go ahead and apply for adult benefits-as the child is disabled and cannot take care of her self nor work a regular job. Or draw the benefits until 19 and 2 months while doing whatever needs to be done for her to receive benefits as an adult (deemed disabled and lawyers and all that junk-if necessary. Really hard to find any info on this.

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Disability claims often take 18 to 24 months to process. The danger of waiting until a child ages out of survivor’s benefits before applying for the child’s own disability benefits is that there can easily be a (lengthy) gap in benefits.

  • Hunter Farris

    My mom gets $800 from social security, and when I turn 18 in May she loses that, but my mom has 3 other kids and really still needs that 800 dallors to put a roof on there head. So she is makeing me pay $400 in rent, I don’t care because I have a job, but that won’t really won’t help unless she can keep the $800. Is there anyway to continue that!!!!!

  • guesterrrr5

    My brother in law gets $600 a month to go to school its the worse thing this state could have done for him because now he feels no need to go to school and is on the verge of dropping out if the reason why they are getting it is because theu are enrolled in school then is he goinf to have to pay the money back if he doesnt graduate

  • sue

    If a person is getting SSI and is 18, was in high school full time but now done with high school and doing college, she is doing college through the high school Can she still get her SSI till high school is done in May

  • Roxann Cox

    My child has anxiety , depression and social issues and is on medication for these issues. Would he be able to continue receiving his benefits from his father even after the age of 18

    • Kathy Palfey Bonilla Moravasik

      Not unless that falls under disability under SS federal guidelines. It’s a long process with them, their doctors, etc.

      • leake cece

        I was wondering how would you apply for those disability I have Anti-social and also I’m Bi-Polar and wanted my check to contiute for disability reason but don’t know how to start this paper work. Also I turned 18 in May it’s June and my last check I did not receive.

  • brandy

    If my daughter graduates early at 17, will she continue to receive survivors benifits until she is 18?

    • Kathy Palfey Bonilla Moravasik

      Yes but just until she is 18

  • zack

    I get ssi because my mom died 4 yrs ago. I will be turning 18 in may..but I am still in high school and will have one more year to go.i plan on moving out with my girlfriend and working full time this summer and still plan on finishing my senior year.and going back to part time when school starts back up.will I still receive my benefits???

    • Sasha

      Yes until you graduate or reach 19 and 2 months. Whichever comes first.

    • Kathy Palfey Bonilla Moravasik

      You can get benefits if a full time student in high school until 19 years and 2 months of age but you will not get them if going part time and they will not continue after graduation. The school with have to fill out paperwork for SS to prove your status and are obligated to let SS know if you leave school or drop to part time status.

  • Hopeful

    I recently learned that my daughter can apply for auxiliary benefits bc her father is receiving SSD. We applied and were granted benefits however they told
    Us that the benefits were only retroactive 1 year and not from the time that he was declared disabled.
    Can this be challenged?

    • Kathy Palfey Bonilla Moravasik

      Typically you cant challenge SS…you could have gotten benefits from the start but only if you applied so a year is better than nothing.

  • Jasie

    Will I get the benefits for May in June if I graduate at the end of May? Or will I only get benefits for April in May?

    • Kathy Palfey Bonilla Moravasik

      If you graduate in June then your last check should come in July as the checks are always a month behind.

  • Sadie

    My father committed suicide when I was 12. At around 18 I started to get survivor benefits addressed to me in the mail. At the time, I was saving to move out and going to college. My mother told me I had to sign the checks over to her since I lived under her roof. Is this normal?

    • Kathy Palfey Bonilla Moravasik

      My children signed their checks over to me until they stopped coming because they were still in high school living in the house so yes it’s normal as the checks will stop once you graduate…the checks are used for your support in the house.

    • Cathi H

      At the age of 18 the benefits should stop, not just be starting….you should have been receiving SS since he passed

  • GG

    My dad passed away 4 years ago since then she has been recieving SS check instead of child support. I havent been living there nor have she bothered paying anything for me (cost of living food ANYTHING) the past couple of years. shes been putting that money directly in a savings account and withdrawing big sums saying its for me when i havent recieved any care or even calls from her for a long time now. anyways whats left in the savings account, do i have access to it now? i turn 18 this month. how do i go about getting this money. or does she get to keep it? i need it for college ive been working my butt off trying to pay for myself and while keeping straight A’s in school not knowing shes been getting ss all these years. so id like to switch to part time for while im in college and that money will help me out with bills.

    • Kathy Palfey Bonilla Moravasik

      Unfortunately SS only goes until you graduate from high school, it isn’t used for you to have in college or to move out…it is used for support of you until the month you graduate.

    • Angel

      You should call Social Security.. That’s your money it should come where ever you live.

  • karen

    If my 17 year old son moves out to my sister’s who gets his check under me?

  • Sherry

    When the recipient of death benefits is turning 18 the end of next month, how long can he/she continue to get it?

    • Cathi H

      He/She can only continue to receive benefits after the age of 18 if they are still in high school….but there is paperwork that should have been filled out two months prior to the 18th birthday, if this has not been filled out by their school…the benefits will stop the month he/she turns 18

  • Logan Evans

    I graduated early in December 2014 but I still attend school functions and I still am attending the graduation ceremony on June 6 2015. I turned 18 March 2015 and I thought April would be the last check( for March) they sent me a check this month though (may for April)
    Should I send it back ? Or do they go by the actual graduation ceremony as “graduating”

    • Anonymous

      I’ve been 18 since August of 2014 and I have received checks in this form since I turned 18. I believe it’s normal for them to do this. For that matter, since your graduation is in June, you should receive May’s check in June, and June’s check in July still. However, it also goes on a case-by-case matter. Regardless, since you would be stopping your high school education, the SSA does require you to inform them about this change, and they would make a decision and inform you about the particulars then.

  • Rachel Rose

    How/who do I contact to stop sending me checks? I graduate next month, and I don’t know if I should let them know or not!

    • Cathi H

      They will stop sending them automatically, they will send you a letter when your benefits stop.

  • Becky

    Im 18 just about to graduate high school, what month does my SSB stop? I turn 19 in Sept. at that time will be attending college.

    • Cathi

      it will stop the month after you graduate. So if you graduate in June, your last check will be in July.

  • Mike

    I am 17 and will be 18 in July. I get SSDI Because my father is disabled. Social security said they will not pay for JUL and AUG because I will not be in school I will be on summer break and restart at the end of AUG to complete my last year of high school. Is this normal not to pay me because of summer break?

  • Jocelyn

    I am 18 I graduate in June and was wondering when my benefits stop and when and how they let me know they are cutting it

  • mari

    Have a question i never knew my son could get a SSI check for dislexia he’s a senior an 19 yrs. Old now but he’s had it sense he was in elementary what can I do?

    • Jen

      Does it prevent him from working?

  • Brenda De Jong Munson

    My soon-to-be 18-yr old daughter wants to move out of our home to live on her own as she finishes her senior year of high school. Will she still be eligible to receive my disability benefits if she is living outside of my home as an “adult?”

    • Jen

      Once school is over, so are her checks, I’m afraid. But she can get on a waiting list to get housing help.

  • Linda Stillwell

    My mother, adopted two great grandchildren, one is 17 am threatens her now, ok I will just go an get my check and move out on my own? Surely this is not allowed by law? After all she has done thus far in his life, now can he get a check, that was left for her to take care of him??

  • Jason Reiter

    I’m 19 and i received a letter in the mail saying they would stop my benefits. im currently a full time student. would an appeal help?

    • Lynette

      Jason we are dealing with this too. There is a form online, called a 1372 form, its 6 pages I think. You need to print those off, take them to your school, your school will keep a couple of them and fill out the other few for you to send to social security office. One of those forms shows when you graduate. You can only receive the benefits for 2 months after you turn 19 but at least you might get that 2 months back pay being still in school.

  • Aja

    if i am 17 graduating early and get SS from my mom passing 11 years ago but haven’t seen one penny of my money in my savings account till i got kicked out and then i moved back will i get benefits if i continue to college? or will my benefits end on my 18th birthday in April, if i enroll for community college before i turn 18?

  • banana

    Me and my sister has been getting ssi checks for the last 16 years when she graduated high school 16 years ago she said she got 2 checks in the mail for $2000 and $3000 is this possible. I want to know because I graduate in a couple days?

  • banana

    Me & my sister has been getting ssi checks for Tue last 16 years when she graduated high school 16 years ago she said she got 2 checks in the mail for $2000 and $3000 is this possible. I want to know because I graduate in a couple days?

  • banana

    Me and my sister has been getting ssi checks for the last 16 years when she graduated high school 2 years ago she said she got 2 checks in the mail for $2000 and $3000 the 2 months after she graduated, is this possible. I want to know because I graduate in a couple days?

  • fuck you

    I fuckin hate the government. My mom died when I was 9. As soon as I turned 18 my dad died. My dad was broke as hell due to my mom’s hospital bill taking all his money. I therefore I have no money. Right before my dad died he sold our house because he couldn’t afford it so we lived at his friends house when he passed. So now I’m stuck, fresh out of high school, no parents, homeless, can’t afford college, all from circumstances beyond my control. And the government can’t give me a damn nickel. But oh, I’m 18.. I’m an “adult” right? Ha, I’ll go to work and make minimum wage the rest of my life with the qualifications this situation has put me in. What a fucking life.

    • Jen

      I’m so sorry. Believe it or not, but it is not all over for you. There are programs available for you. Please don’t give up. Contact health and welfare, and ask for advice. Are you interested in college? Did you know they will help you? I assure you, if you’re willing to work for it, life can be wonderful. And if you have no one this a Thanksgiving and Christmas, consider volunteering at the homeless shelter. And by the way, there are boxes available for both seasons, so you can make a lovely meal with friends. Please, don’t give up. I signed up here just to tell you this.

      • Jen

  • kimmi

    My daughter graduated May 2015 and she is 18 years old will my kids receive a increase and how long will it take

  • Jennifer

    Okay my mom didn’t tell me I got letter for social security saying there were going to cut me off but I never got that letter and I’m 17 today and turning 18 in July 19th and I got my s.s for July but the form I can’t get it filled out from my high school showing I’m a full time student because no one in the office till August and I’m afraid there going to cut me off.. Idk what to do help

  • Edward

    I’m 17 years old and I don’t receive SSI, I recide in a house hold that has 3 people who do get SSI. Would me getting a job affect their SSI benefits.

    • Angel


  • Jacinda Rearick

    I applied for disability benefits in 2013 after having complication that are permanent from having surgery, I just recently in 6/2015 received my benefits with retroactive as well, my youngest son was 17 when I applied and graduated in 2014 so shouldn’t he be eligible for that back pay too?

    • Angel


    • Jen

      Yes, definitely! They might not be aware. Go back and ask if you need to apply for this.

  • Taimy

    Hey, I was wondering if anybody can help me out! I’m 17 about to turn 18 in October my dad receives SS benefits from me but here’s the thing I dropped out of high school and now go to a Technical College to get my GED. I go to school from 8 am to 12 pm would my dad or I still receive SS benefits when I turn 18? Please help!

    • Jen

      Hi Taimy, have you found anything out? Is your tech college course considered full-time? I’m truly concerned that you’re going to lose your benefits very soon.

  • Lisa

    If a child turns 18 on the 16th of the month does there benefit stop the month before their birthday or the month of their birthday?

  • Kim

    My daughter social security benefits come to me but she is about to turn 17 in December do I have to open a account just for her?. What age does the benefits go directly to the child. Even if they are in high school?

  • Nancy L. Kendall

    My son turns 18 in september and is a senior. We filled out all the necessry paperwork and He will continue to draw ss from my husband being disabled. My question is..why are they not paying him for August in September? They said he would start receiving the benefits in October which would be for September…what happens to August benefits.

    • Jen

      I would love to know if you find anything out. Our time is running out, also. Further, since the household income is too high, SS wouldn’t consider whether or not my daughter is disabled in their eyes (although ALL her doctors KNOW she is!) So I’m wondering, MUST she be full-time at 18, if she’s disabled, or do I have to wait and apply so that Soc. Sec. can determine that? And what about summer vacation? Must she stay full-time during break?

  • DG

    I have two sons. Their mother died when they
    were early teens. They were then entitled to Social Security benefits. I was their
    representative payee and received their checks. I placed most in their own
    accounts and used some to help support them. When my oldest turned 18 he was
    still entitled to benefits because he was still in high school. It was
    determined by the Social Security that “it was in his best interest that they
    send the money to him”. I guess the SSA knows my son better than me. So for the
    next year my son received monthly benefits until he graduated from high school.
    Though I encouraged him to save this money he actually spent it all and had
    nothing to show for it. I think the SSA needs to change their rule. If an 18
    year old who is still in high school and AND is still living at home then the
    representative payee should still manage these funds until the 18 year old
    graduates from high school AND moves out.

    • Sherrian

      My 18 year old twins did the same thing. The rules need to change.

    • Brittany

      The problem with changing this rule is that not all 18 year olds have that immature thought process. I’m almost 18, haven’t been living at home for almost a year now, with a baby on the way. I haven’t graduated yet, and would need my benefits to continue to help with my rent and with the child. The rule should not be changed just because a few 18 year olds were not smart when it came to spending their benefits. Your child just saw the benefits as free money, which is his right since it is his.

      • Jen

        Perhaps it is in your situation that should be the exception. If the student still lives at home, the home needs the money for room and board. At the point that s/he has graduated and moved out, they should be able to petition the money be given to them.

    • poop

      You should shut up

  • Laura

    I receive social security survivor benefits because my husband was killed. My benefits will end when my daughter turns 16- I believe. My daughter has aspergers will they continue my benefits as caregiver for her? Do they consider it a disability? If they do, how can I extend my coverage? Do I need an up-to-date private evaluation or her school IEP?

  • Danielle

    I turned 18 in May, in April we had the paperwork proving that I will be a full time student until I graduate in 2016. No check came in June so we went to the local SS office, we were told that it was in the payment center. No check came in July, went back to the SS office and we were told the school official had put the wrong date in one of the boxes so we got the paperwork filled out again and submitted it directly to the local SS office and the person who noticed the wrong date on the original paperwork, August, still no check, went back to the SS office to be told it is in the payment center and then told me they wouldn’t check it beyond that because each time they inquire about it, it delays the entire process further. September and October come and go with no check…my mom asks her lawyer if there is anything they can do and they offer to ask an “inside” person that they rely on and that person told them it is “actively being processed” and it did not get to the payment center until September 1. What else can I do to get this check? In the mean time my mom has had no job do to her health and has the lawyer that I mentioned trying to help her get disability…which means we have had no money for months now. Also, I have not been officially declared disabled, but I am in a hospital homebound school program due to the fact that I can barely leave the house due to depression and other issues.

  • Kristel Swan Griffin

    My son turns 18 in Dec. 2015. He is a senior in HS until May 2016. I received the notification from the SS office and promptly filled out all of the paperwork and had the school fill out their part, I took it down to the local office and now I am getting a denial letter. What do I need to do now?

    • Yolanda

      My daughter turns 18 in December 2015 as well. I received a letter today stating that she is no longer entitled to SS benefits. I mailed all the necessary forms back to the SS office, stating that she’s still in school full time until June 2016. I hoping that the forms just haven’t made it the right person yet. This so FRUSTRATING!!!

      • Kristel Swan Griffin

        I agree, I guess I will
        Try to call the local office on Monday? I’m not sure but I didn’t attach a voided check from my son’s bank account. I’m wondering if that is why it wasn’t approved?

        • yolanda

          I didn’t attach a voided check either, I just sent a copy of my daughter’s bank statement. I’m praying that everything works out for us.

          • Kristel Swan Griffin

            I will pray for you!! God is good and when a parent passes, he makes sure His kids are cared for.