Is a 504 plan or IEP enough to win Social Security children’s benefits

My Colorado law office handled a number of Social Security disability benefits for children. Often parents have a 504 plan or an IEP (Individualized Education Program) from the school.

But is a 504 plan or IEP enough to win Social Security disability benefits for a child? If not, what else do you need?Unfortunately, typically not. While a 504 plan or an IEP is good evidence and often contains useful information about the child’s disability, it is often not enough by itself.

There is no single formula for winning a disability case. There is a wide range of possible evidence that may be useful:

  • Doctors records.
  • Hospital records.
  • Mental health provider records.
  • Police reports.
  • School disciplinary reports.
  • Attendance records.
  • School psychologist records.
  • Any evaluations with
  • Physical therapy / occupational therapy records.
  • Teacher questionnaires.
  • Special Education teacher reports.
  • IQ test results.
  • WJ-III test results.

This is just scratching the surface. If you can think of other evidence, do not avoid it just because it is not listed here. Tell me in the comments about the kind of evidence you found useful.

Photo by nick.amoscato

  • Javandabeckwith

    my 5 year old has a 504 plan and a bip plan i applied for ssi im waiting for an answer will she get approved

    • http://planet10tech.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      I wish Social Security cases were easy enough that I could tell who would win based on whether they have a 504 plan. 

      If you are looking to have your daughter’s case evaluated, and you are interested in getting help, you may want to contact a lawyer in your area.

  • Ngl_mddx

    I am disabled with 2 children, one will be 18 soon. what will happen with his benefit after 18, will it go to the next child?

    • http://stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

      Take a look at http://www.socialsecurityinsider.com/2011/05/my-child-is-graduating-high-school-will-my-other-childrens-social-security-benefits-change/

      For specific information about you children’s benefits, I encourage you to contact Social Security